Some flip burgers every day. Others drive huge earth-moving machines. Then there are: automotive technicians; hair stylists; programmers; consultants; accountants; teachers; clerks and chefs; chemists and geologists; sales representatives and carpenters. The list is endless. Wherever you work, there’s an organizational structure. In larger operations, it will be found inside a manual or online. All the layers from top to bottom, from the boss to the frontline workers are mapped out. They look like pyramids. In smaller businesses it may not be in writing but all the workers know where they fit and who their boss is and who has the final say. One of the most complex organizational structures in the world is the US Military which extends from the soldiers on the front lines all the way up to the Commander-in-Chief, the President of the United States. Massive and complex!
But there is an army that dwarfs the US Military. In fact, it makes the armies of the world look like wispy wimps and whimsical weaklings. We learn from the Bible that there is a massive and complex organizational structure that rules and manages the present darkness of this age. It’s invisible but very real. Satan is its original and longstanding Commander-in-Chief. This is not a piece of fiction nor is it a fable. Read this:
[contending only with physical opponents],
but against the despotisms, against the powers,
against [the master spirits who are] the world rulers
of this present darkness,
against the spirit forces of wickedness
in the heavenly (supernatural) sphere.
(Ephesians 6:12 Amplified)
Even today’s most sophisticated technology cannot pick up by radar or detect by satellite or heat sensing equipment the unseen ancient military of darkness. But just because we can’t see it does not make it less real. Rarely can you see gravity but you know it exists when you miss a step on a ladder. These invisible soldiers of darkness wield frightening power. Every day and night we’re surrounded by dark demonic invisible forces who are actively fighting against God, against Christ and against every believer who is seeking to live for Christ. These wicked spirit beings take no breaks. There are no lulls in the battle. They don’t give up. And they have a vast arsenal of weapons and countless strategies for every situation.
What should you do? Shake, shiver and retreat and go into hiding as a Christian? Should you cower in fear and remain in the shadows and keep your light hidden so no one will know you belong to Christ?
Dear Child of God here’s how God expects you to respond to this reality:
- Understand the reality exists. There ARE dark forces constantly working to bring you down and wreck your life and testimony for Christ.
- No Christian can stand against the forces of darkness on their own strength, willpower and determination.
- Our ability to stand is directly proportionate to the closeness of our daily intimacy with Christ.
- Take Christian living very seriously. Living for Christ requires effort and constant daily attention.
- Full (not partial) protection and full power is available to you to hold your ground as a Christian soldier and to conquer new territory for God. Read and study Ephesians 6:10-18
- Although Satan is ‘a’ Commander-in-Chief – he is not ‘THE’ Commander in Chief of the universe. God is and you’re in His army!
As Paul commences the section of Christian Warfare, he starts off with these encouraging and uplifting words: “In conclusion, be strong in the Lord [be empowered through your union with Him]; draw your strength from Him [that strength which His boundless might provides].” Ephesians 6:10 Amplified.